Friday, February 19, 2010

Tackling the Fear of Self-Employment

Q: Among the big hurdles to self-employment are self-doubt and fear of failure. How did you deal with them, and what's your advice?
A: You know what? I never had fear. What was more fearful for me was going to a job every day that made me unhappy. That was what worried me every day about my future. . . . I know it is an obstacle for a lot of people, and again I think the answer to that is networking, meeting with some people who are in the business that you want to start and finding out how they get past that because it can be scary, especially in these uncertain times.

--from an interview the Plain Dealer recently did with an old writing buddy of mine, Mary Mihaly.

10 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Caitlin Joy Ryan said...

Thanks, John.
I am a college student thinking and worrying about these very issues. Networking is such a powerful thing and only recently have I begun to realize that. Thanks for the encouragement. It's much appreciated.

 
At 7:41 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Love having college student readers. Can I ask, are you in Ohio, Caitlin? Either way, please consider leveraging linkedin.com. It's a powerful networking tool. I'd be happy to connect with you that way.

 
At 5:16 AM, Anonymous Lou said...

Unhappiness in the workplace is something I have not experienced in over 15 years, spanning 3 grest organizations, which makes me grateful and appreciative. Challenges, yes, but not dread of going to work. Though if it were perfect they would call it golf instead of work.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

It does help considerably when you're the boss, Lou, as you are. And with that responsibility comes early rising, apparently. Thanks for stopping by. We're overdue to catch up for lunch.

 
At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Sherri Henkin said...

John - this post is timely for me. Thanks for alerting me to Mary's insightful thoughts and the PD interview.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Glad you found value in it, Sherri.

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Caitlin Joy Ryan said...

John. I am not in Ohio. I'm in California and I DO have a linked in account! But am not very active on it since I am not really sure how to use it. Anyway, I'll try to find you on there.

 
At 7:29 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

California sounds pretty nice right about now. Wonderful on the Linkedin. When and if you're ready, I'd be happy to chat with you about how you might use this to further your goals.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger Caitlin Joy Ryan said...

Perfect. Thank you so much!

 
At 6:21 AM, Anonymous News Link said...

Very enjoyable post. I like it. Looking for more. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home