Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Muscles of Writing
Are Not So Visible

'Writing is an athletic activity. It comes from your whole body, your knees, lungs, spine--all organs and body parts leaning in with you, hovering in concentration over the page. And just like any other sport, it takes practice. Behind the football we see on TV, the players have put in hundreds of hours before the big game. The muscles of writing are not so visible, but they are just as powerful: determination, attention, curiosity, a passionate heart.
--from Natalie Goldberg's Old Friend From Far Away--The Practice of Writing Memoir. If you've never read her 1986 classic, Writing Down the Bones, I urge you to do so soon.

8 Comments:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger Elisabeth said...

Natale Goldberg has such a way with words and her ideas on writing are spot on. Thanks for quoting her, and reminding me again, John.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Happy to be of service, Elisabeth.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Pat Washington said...

Writing Down the Bones is a wonderful book. I used some of her ideas from it when I taught my own writing workshop for homeschoolers, which was SO much fun. Now if I could only heed her advice myself. The practice of writing has seemed like an indulgence over the past several months. But...maybe, as the L'Oreal commercial says, I'm worth it....

Writing does make me happy.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

You've gotta do what makes you happy.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Pat Washington said...

And so I did. Inspired by you and Natalie, I did a timed writing exercise, by hand, on real paper, this afternoon and had a great time doing it. So, thanks.

Now, if I could make that a discipline....

 
At 2:59 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Here's hoping you do.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Interesting way to think of writing. I often say the only thing I don't like about writing is that it's too sedentary and not athletic enough (unless I'm working on an article about hiking and get to hike).

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Dhaka Guide said...

Admirable post. Wants more. Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home