Monday, January 05, 2009

So Maybe He Didn't
Actually Write Them;
We Still Really Love
Letterman's Jokes

'(With the economy in such trouble) you gotta hide your cash. Here's what I do: I put it all in the stock market, and a week later, no one can find it.' We also loved item #7 from a recent Top Ten list: 'Top ten signs that President Bush doesn't care anymore: He's barely trying to ruin the economy anymore.' Finally, we got a good cackle out of his absurdist explanation of the oft-heard line about how various movies are now playing in selected cities. "And did you know that they're selected by Burt Reynolds?" You can review earlier mentions of the irascible late-night Hoosier here.

4 Comments:

At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. How much does Letterman earn annually? And what exactly does he do? I know he wears very expensive suits and lives a rather lavish lifestyle. I also knew there were a cast of writers writing his show for him, to include his jokes....I'm sorry, but I'm scratching my head wondering how I missed this career choice option while I was in college?

Do I sound bitter? :-)

Neve

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Forbes magazine says he made about $40 million in 2006, making him the second highest paid comedian in the world, after Jerry Seinfeld. Both are in the earnings stratosphere because they own a piece of the rock. Seinfeld still gets residuals as part owner of the Seinfeld series, and Letterman owns not only part of his Late Night show, but also owns the show that comes on after his (with the Scottish guy), through his Worldwide Pants production company.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger TJ Sullivan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

You said it. I can think of few things as daunting as taking a microphone in a comedy club and trying to make people laugh. I'm in awe of anyone who can do that. And to do it night after night, for year after year, is otherworldly, no matter if you're writing the material or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home