Thursday, November 20, 2008

Did You Know Today is World Philosophy Day?

Truth be told, neither did we, at least until we came upon a report about it on the BBC webite. But since we fancy ourselves as having at least a mildly philosophical bent, we figured we ought to tip our hat to this special day by linking to the article from the "Auntie Beeb," as the Brits call their national broadcasting system. Then, should the spirit move you, let us know what you thought about it, or about your philosophy classes in college, or the BBC, or Brits, or whatever the hell else you'd care to get off your chest today. After all, it's cheaper than therapy, and far better than thinking about the gathering storm of a bad worldwide recession looming over us.

6 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to discuss philosophy with you, John, but I Kant.

Seriously, philosophy nearly drove me into therapy rather than rescue me from it. The only course more traumatic for me was Statistics, with its permutations and probabilities.

"I stink, therefore I am." – Anonymous hobo philosopher.

 
At 4:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I suddenly feel compelled to watch the movie, The Matrix again? Is that really a computer screen in front of you, or something else intirely?

I'm not sure if I'm the same person that started writing this as I am now finishing. :-)

Thanks John.

p.s. I forwarded your post onto Miles.
p.p.s. My spam word for today is plater. I can't help but wonder why?

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

The mere mention of the word "philosophy" does seem to bring out the latent comedian in all of us, doesn't it? And come to think of it, I think our friend Miles was a philosophy major. A perfect preparation for a poet.

 
At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget that Steve Martin was a philosophy major too. So it prepares you for a career in oddball comedy as well...

And Alex Trebek was a philosophy major too. So comedy and game show host, two career paths not open to Schopenhauer and Kierkegaard...

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

You've added greatly to our storehouse of philosophy major lore. Thanks. But I think your combination of philosophy and engineering makes you double--or triply--interesting.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."

-Henry David Thoureau

 

Post a Comment

<< Home