Friday, October 31, 2008

'Haunted' Libraries
Help Mark Halloween

Okay, so what's at the intersection of Halloween and the act of reading and writing, we asked ourselves? Almost before we could finish forming the mental question, we happened upon this interesting little tidbit from the Brittanica.com blog. State-by-state, it lists midwestern libraries that, according to local folklore, have been haunted for one reason or another, including the 105-year-old Carnegie library in Ashtabula, pictured here. If you happen to live near one or more of them, perhaps you can check them out and report back to us on this crucial question.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 PM, Blogger Pat Washington said...

I spent many, many wondrous times at this library of my youth. I always had a hard time leaving. I remember that it was big and creaky, hushed and cozy, but I never experienced any paranormal stuff there.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Yowza! "...big and creaky, hushed and cozy..." What a perfect selection of adjectives, in just the right order. I could see this place in my mind instantly. Thanks for the eyewitness report, Pat. That was more than we could have hoped for.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Pat Washington said...

You are welcome, John! I LOVED that place. I wish I could adequately describe the smell of the place (as smell is so deeply tied to memory). I'll try: it smelled like old, slightly dusty books and painted radiator heat.
:-)

Speaking of "hushed and cozy," do you remember when libraries used to be quiet places? I miss that. The quietness encouraged a sense of reverence, I believe. I'm all for discussion and study groups, but there are separate library rooms for that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home