Thursday, June 05, 2008

A Piercing Thought on the Possibility
Of Hillary as Obama's Choice for Veep

'Last night, in the concession speech she didn’t make, Clinton said that she wants her supporters to be respected. To which I say: Senator Clinton, I am one of your supporters. My vote has been respected. It was duly recorded in Kings County and helped put you over the top here in New York. But if by “respected” you mean that my vote (and others’) should land you an automatic spot on Obama’s ticket, then that’s not how I want my democratic participation to be respected. That kind of respect feels too much like the code of the street or the Cosa Nostra. That’s about you, not me.'
--New Yorker Magazine staff writer George Packer, writing on his blog. What can we add to this? It's brilliant, and also true.

2 Comments:

At 5:42 PM, Blogger Art Durkee said...

I'd rather have John Edwards as VP. I think there's a good case to made for that.

That way, when Obama is assassinated, which I wish was not a possibility, Edwards would be Pres.

Oh well. It's all speculation, ennit.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Yes, he'd be my choice, too. Actually, I'd rather that the order of the ticket be reversed, so that Obama was the Veep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home