Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Two Clevelands

'There are two Clevelands. When I was a kid, it was a big, important city. There were a lot of things going on here. Then, with the fall-off in industrial production, Cleveland suffered. I haven't travelled much so that puts me at a disadvantage when it comes to comparing Cleveland to living somewhere else. I could have been born in a worse place, but I don't think Ohio is a very progressive state, and I don't like that.'
--Harvey Pekar, quoted in the current issue of Ohioana Quarterly. Unfortunately, it's not online, so if you'd like to sample this or any other article from the publication, you'll need to go to your nearest library (which you should be doing anyway, gentle reader).

2 Comments:

At 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The irony is that we were a fairly progressive state probably until the mid 20th century, then we kind of stalled. But I think all, or most, cities go through these stages in their development.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm optimistic about the future. Hell, if nothing else, we got fresh water, which is starting to be in high demand all over the world.

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

You said it, Miles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home