Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The Newspaper That Refuses to Die
(see update below)


My latest Free Times
media column is about the erstwhile Cleveland Press, an afternoon daily that went out of business more than 24 years ago--at a time when lots of afternoon papers were dying, both as a result of the changing demographics of readership and the loss of ad base to TV--but whose memory lives on in some interesting ways. In coming days, after I've had some time to pull my thoughts together, I'll tell more of that story than I was able to fit into the column. Meanwhile, I'll naturally be interested in getting your reactions to the column or hearing your stories/memories of the Press, if indeed you're old enough to remember it. If not, perhaps a more salient issue for you would be the whole continuing debate on having two daily papers in a city, something that only a handful of major American cities still enjoy. I'd be interested to learn whatever is on your mind. As they like to say on the radio, our comment lines are open.
UPDATE: This column earned a link yesterday from Jim Romenesko's influential Poynter site, easily the most closely watched national aggregator of news by, about and for the journalism community. I wrote about Jim and his site here, and he was good enough to also link to these two (here and here) earlier columns.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've linked to your Cleveland Press story. Please see http://herex0.tripod.com .

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger John Ettorre said...

Thanks. I found this to be an interesting site.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home